Banana Bread with a Sweet Swirl
Growing up, my Mom's banana bread was famous! She always brought a loaf when visiting family and friends and everyone loved it. I still remember sneaking a warm bite just out of the oven – delicious! When my kids were young, they loved to 'bake banana bread with Gramma' too – all these fond memories were inspiration for a similarly wonderful banana bread but with healthier ingredients. This version is sweetened by the bananas (the riper they are, the sweeter the bread) and is super moist and filling – delicious warm or cold. Great in a lunch bag, with a cup or coffee or tea, and makes a perfect hostess gift (like my Mom used to do). The 'swirl of sweetness' adds a bit of fun! I hope it will be the start of some tasty new memories for you and your family… (gluten- and dairy-free)
- 3 cups almond flour (300g)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs (organic, pasture-rasied if possible)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (55ml)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 Tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper (or grease with a bit of coconut oil).
- In medium bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- In large bowl, mash bananas and then add rest of wet ingredients and mix.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and combine well.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp of topping and swirl around into batter.
- Spread batter evenly and then add 1-2 Tbsp topping to cover loaf.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until set in middle (not jiggly).
- Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Store in air-tight container in fridge. Tastes great toasted and/or warmed up!